Stress-Related Headaches are the most typical form of benign headache also known as tension-type headache. They may have an impact on a person's daily activities, including work, school, and home life.
Long-term treatment is fortunately achievable through physical therapy. A skilled physiotherapist can assist you in getting quick relief from any pain disorders or afflictions that may be aggravating your discomfort, including headaches brought on by stress.
The many forms of headaches, their causes, and how physiotherapy can be of assistance are described here.
What Is A Stress-Related Headache?
Our bodies frequently enter the fight-or-flight state when faced with stressful events. Disability, missed workdays, and a decline in quality of life are among potential effects of Stress-related headaches.
During this moment, the brain may release specific chemicals that can result in a number of physiological changes, including pain.
A dull, aching discomfort through the back of your head or along the forehead is possible. Sometimes the discomfort begins in the neck or shoulders and spreads to other parts of the head. The cheeks and jaws might occasionally hurt or ache.
How frequently someone experiences them in a given month defines them. An individual has tension-type headaches episodically if they occur 14 or fewer days out of the month. They are regarded as chronic if they occur 15 or more days out of the month for three consecutive months
How Physical Therapy Can Get Rid Of Stress-Related Headaches
The symptoms of stress headaches may be momentarily relieved by over-the-counter painkillers, but the stressors and strains that contribute to the headaches' recurrence are not addressed.
If you're looking for a more long-term remedy, physical therapy is an excellent place to start. To identify whether you have tension headaches or another sort of headache that requires the care of a specialist, our physical therapist will do an evaluation.
Some of the techniques that may be suggested include:
- 1Myofascial Trigger point massage therapy: The pain associated with stress headaches can frequently be immediately relieved by massage and other manual therapies. By avoiding contractions in the shoulders, neck, and head, a physical therapist can assist prevent headaches by using the proper massage techniques.
- 2Chiropractic adjustments: Your neck and back's tight muscles and ligaments might contribute to headaches; stretching exercises can assist. The muscles in your neck and back can be strengthened by stretching as well. You'll be able to release tightness in your neck and shoulders as your muscles get stronger and more flexible.
- 3Improvement in posture: Your pain threshold and the likelihood of getting a stress-related headache are both strongly impacted by how you hold your posture during the day. For a higher quality of life, your physiotherapist will show you how to correct your posture.
- 4Exercise Therapy: Your physical therapist will recommend exercises to make your neck muscles stronger so they can support your head more evenly and painlessly
Additionally, either ice compression or heat can be used for instant relief from stress-related headaches. In addition to easing muscle tension, it can also offer decreased frequency of the headache and increased psychological well-being.
Ask your physiotherapist for further suggestions that are suited to your specific requirements.
What Causes Stress-Related Headaches?
The University of Maryland Medical Center provided the following list of potential Stress-Related Headaches or tension-type headache triggers:
- 3Keeping your head still for a prolonged period of time
- 4Sleeping in an uncomfortable position or a chilly environment
- 5Eye fatigue
- 6Alcohol or drug use
- 7Even years after the injury, head and neck injuries
- 8Gritting your teeth or clenching your jaw
- 9Drugs, such as some for headaches (leading to rebound headaches)
- 11Changes in hormones (primarily among women)
Call us for pain relief! Speak To A Physical Therapist Today
With so many care alternatives available to you, there is no reason why you should have to continue living in continual agony and discomfort.
An individualized physical therapy regimen may be able to lessen or even eliminate your headache discomfort if you frequently suffer from stress-related headaches.
Make an appointment with our clinic right now to get permanent relief from headaches brought on by stress and to improve your quality of life!