Anyone who has ever had a professional massage will tell you that a few well-placed elbows to the back can do some major magic. You leave a high-quality, professional massage feeling very calm but also oddly strong. It seems like you only needed to iron out a few kinks.
It turns out that such advantages are real, not simply hearsay. No, the effectiveness of massage therapy is supported by decades of scientific research, some of the most important of which are only a few years old
What to expect at a massage therapy visit
It’s crucial to let the massage therapist know exactly what you want worked on when you call to book your appointment. Tell the therapist what you need in particular. Why, for instance, would your doctor advise getting a therapeutic massage? What are the issues, and how or why did they occur?
Similar to a relaxation massage, your therapist might play gentle music and use dim lighting while you’re there. However, a therapeutic massage session typically focuses on your specified region of concern – for a considerable amount of time — as opposed to a whole-body treatment.
Throughout your therapy session, the therapist may employ a variety of strategies. Depending on their training, they might use passive-resistive stretching, myofascial release, trigger point manipulation, different movement therapies, or deep tissue massage.
Benefits From Therapeutic Massage
1. Massage reduces muscle pain and soreness
It can be tough to enjoy your daily activities if your muscles are sore and in discomfort. A therapeutic massage can be beneficial whether exercise, recuperation after surgery, or a chronic pain condition is the root of the problem. Through precise motions and muscular manipulation, your massage therapist can relieve stress and encourage recovery.
Focused massage techniques can help you move more easily, function more regularly, and heal from a number of medical conditions more quickly. They can also help you experience less discomfort and have a greater range of motion. When used as a therapy option, it can have highly favourable effects.
2. Massages can help with Insomnia
Most adults today are overburdened with tasks and responsibilities, many of which are more than they can handle on any one day. These duties and responsibilities include endless to-do lists, work deadlines, family obligations, and trying to keep up with the antics of all your pals. While there is a greater awareness of the shocking status of mental health, being busy continues to be viewed as a virtue.
Your daily levels of tension and anxiety may be lessened with regular massages. It feels nice to take some time for oneself, and massage therapy has been scientifically shown to promote relaxation of the body and mind.
Physically, massage releases stress from your body, promotes tranquilly, and lessens worry-filled thinking.
3. Massage can improve your immunity
Therapeutic massage could be helpful if you feel like you frequently have the flu or another minor illness. According to research, massage treatment may help you have more lymphocytes in your blood, a type of white blood cell that protects your body from disease. Additionally, research has shown that massage therapy helps lower illness indicators like cortisol and inflammation.
4. Relieve postoperative pain
For patients undergoing major procedures, massage is an efficient and secure adjuvant therapy for the management of acute postoperative pain.
Patients may experience distinct scar tissue development. It can sometimes make the healing process take longer. However, they may address the over-contracted muscles, such as the hamstrings, bigger glutes, and quads that may be hyper-toned to protect the surgery site from harm, thanks to the training of professional massage therapists. This aids in releasing the tension accumulating in the muscles encircling the incision. Additionally, a manual massage lowers the risk of deep vein thrombosis, which is a serious risk after hip replacement surgery.
5. Enhance exercise/ sports performance
Increased efficiency is an advantage that massage therapy frequently provides. In order to function at their best, a person must be able to take part in an activity without their muscles being easily fatigued, weak, or damaged. To maximise effectiveness, a variety of various techniques are used as well as a range of different massage modalities. Enhancing performance can maintain muscles healthy, robust, and less prone to injury. In order to aid in preparation for events and hasten recovery, our massage therapists at maximise performance through massage.
Different types of massage
- Swedish Massage: According to the Mayo Clinic, Swedish massage is a softer type of massage that promotes relaxation. Your massage therapist might experiment with lengthy strokes, kneading, and deeper circular movements throughout this session.
- Deep tissue Massage: A deep tissue massage can be used to alleviate muscular adhesions by dissolving tough fibrous tissue and realigning the muscles back into their natural position. A deep tissue massage will help to relax stress, promote flexibility, lessen pain, and hasten the healing process.
- Sports Massage: A sports massage targets any trouble spots in addition to relaxing the muscular skeletal system as a whole. Sports massage helps loosen up tight muscles, dissolve adhesions, mobilise soft tissues, and lessen pain.
- Remedial Massage: Remedial massages can help the body relax mentally and physically by releasing tight muscles and reducing pain. Receiving a therapeutic massage has many advantages, including relaxation, reduced stress, and enhanced tissue flexibility.